Tuesday, January 2, 2018

A fun website all SLPs should know about!




As a school based speech language pathologist, I work with students from grades kindergarten to 10th grade. With that broad range of ages, abilities and variety of goals, there are so many resources and tools that I need to know about and utilize on a daily basis. One of the tools that I love and that my students love is called Go Noodle (www.gonoodle.com). This website is so amazing and can be used for a wide range of students! Did I mention that it is free?  Hooray for awesome free resources!!!

Go Noodle is a website that is known for online videos that focus on physical activity and interactive learning. It has many different offerings to include but not limited to: Kidz Bop sing and dance along songs, holiday themed dance videos, videos focused on gross and fine motor skills, videos focused on building empathy and videos with more of a curricular focus. Below I will tell you about the ways that I love to utilize this free and amazing resource.

My students have 2 favorite channels on Go Noodle- Kidz Bop and Koo Koo Kangaroo. Both offer great music that is catchy and makes students want to interact and have fun together. I use these skills to target the following goals:

o  Requesting – Students take a turn picking a song
o  Cooperative leisure skills – Students engage in cooperative leisure with their classmates
o  Gross motor imitation – Students imitate the dance moves on the videos that we are watching together
o  Recalling events – Students tell about the videos that we have watched during group
o  Turn taking – Students wait and take their turn to pick a video within a group setting
o  Spontaneously joining a group activity

If I am using this resource within a cooperative group activity, I typically will use it towards the end of the group. The students that I use this with really enjoy listening to music and some even dance along. Listening to music and doing so within a group is a functional life skill that will help students increase their leisure skill repertoire. So what are you waiting for? Check out this website today and let me know how it goes!


I have included a video all about using Go Noodle during therapy sessions. Happy watching and if you have any questions or just want to say hi, please do not hesitate to contact me at www.abaspeech.org.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Speech Therapist and Behavior Analyst Collaboration

Many students with autism work with a team of professionals on a regular basis. Those teams might include a speech-language pathologis...